Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Our coming to USA

After our retirement from Ethiopia, where should we settle down , was a big debatable question for us. I remember that we thoroughly discussed the issue with our friends especially Sandhawalia and Prof. K.N.Singh who with their own background and experience and insight very strongly suggested us to go back to India and settle down over there. But we were highly biased about the welfare of our children and focused our attention that our priority should be that they must settle down in their married life and with their families. And this will not be possible unless we are there.
We planned and finally came down to live over here ( doubt, that we really wanted to settle down here ). We are proved wrong and they proved to be right. It is only after some time when we reassessed the situation, our decision and action, we feel sorry by coming here. If I committed a mistake by switching over from Geophysics to Librarianship, by leaving India to Nigeria, Ethiopia etc. was a blunder and certainly moving to USA is much more than a blunder and continuing to live here in our aging lives is what ??? , we do not know. where we stand to day is not even assessable.
I never had social , communication and psychological problems what I experienced over here especially with my own children.I know that I was never good at managing the finances but, perhaps, with my savings and retirement benefits etc. we could have survived better with greater satisfaction in India. As I was forced here ( because of our living here and the glare of this place ), I almost gambled with my finances by putting it all in the stock markets and loosing all of it. Not only loosing all, but even incurring the heavy debts of $50,000/- or so. I really feel, sorry, sad and sick about this self created and forced situation on me. Thank GOD that he provided us some safe heaven- the immigration to CANADA where Government of Canada has been taking our care for our survival- the shelter and living.
I always thought my children are my investment and I can always rely on them. But I feel sorry that I have been putting unnecessary burden on them instead of helping them as most parents are supposed to do for their children.
Only consolation is our grandchildren. They are very lovely , interesting, caring, loving, affectionate and intelligent. We have been with them very closely since their birth which is a very rare opportunity for most grandparents to enjoy the company and close association with their grandchildren.I do not know any who has that kind of opportunity what we have.
Who knows as what is good, or better or could or would have been worst.
Davendra K Gupta

No comments:

Post a Comment